About the MSBA
Transformation of the Poe School Into the Maryland
Valuable Heritage Preserved
In 1985, the Poe School, located at the northeast
corner of West Fayette and North Greene Streets, became the permanent home
of the Maryland State Bar Association. Our association is housed in a
three-story red brick building richly embellished with attractive gables,
windows and stone sills, which was constructed by the City of Baltimore in
1880. Designed by the prominent local architect Francis E. Davis, it
replaced an earlier school built in 1837 at the same location and
functioned as a Male Grammar and Primary School. Its counterpart, located
diagonally across the street, was the Female Primary and Grammar School
No. 1 which had been built in 1875, but has since been demolished.
The establishment of the Maryland Bar Center on this
site represents a continuation of the tradition of serving the needs of
the community, both legal and urban.
One of the many
special features of the MSBA headquarters is the conference room mural.
This mural has come to symbolize the ideals of the MSBA. The mural
includes images of the blindfolded Statue of Justice with Scales and Sword
in an architectural setting. Other symbols associated with Maryland
include the state flag, the Baltimore Oriole and the black-eyed Susan,
along with the names of the twenty-three Maryland counties.