By the time you read this, the 11th Annual Solo and Small Conference will be history (whew!). I am sure it was a great success because of the amazing amount of time put into to it by the Solo Conference Committee, the speakers and MSBA Staff.
This month, I am going to cheat a little and simply share some sites and tips that I have been collecting for the past few months. Many of these tips come from e-discussion groups I am on, magazines I read and sites I visit. Most of them are legal-specific tips mostly for office management or technology, but I will throw in a few fun ones just to see if you are paying attention.
See What You Missed?
Bruce Dorner was a presenter at the Solo and Small Firm Conference, and he did a great session on “Free and Cheap Technology”. Here are just a few of the tips he shared:
- Test your Internet connection (www.dslreports.com/tools)
- Magic for your closing argument (www.quoteworld.org)
- What’s inside your computer (www.belarc.com – scans your computer and reports on hardware and software)
- Free screen capture (www.gadwin.com)
- Antidote to emptied recycle bin (www.all-freeware.com/gu4.htm)
- Remove techno-dust bunnies (www.ccleaner.com – I wish they had them for under the bed)
- Send and receive large files (www.yousendit.com – I use this and it is great)
Please note that all videos and materials from the Saturday Solo Conference will be available for purchase to view online after January 1, 2010. We will keep you posted on the details. So, you will be able to view Dorner and all the other speakers and their materials soon.
Sharing the Wealth
Each week, we share tips from other management advisors from bar associations throughout the country. These tips can be found each Tuesday at the MSBA LOMA site (www.msba.org/departments/loma/resources.asp). I will be tweeting to my Twitter followers when the new tip is available. All tips are listed so you can see those you missed. Some of the tips include:
- Rules for Law Firms for Social Media from Virtual Marketing Officer Blog
- Metadata: What It is, and What to Do About It
- How to use YouTube for Your Practice
- Keys to a Successful Scanning Implementation
- Legal Technology Decisions Made Simple
A Little Bird Might Tell You
As previously mentioned, we are on Twitter. I make an effort to tweet Monday through Friday regarding office management and technology topics. To see my tweets, go to http://twitter.com/MSBALOMA. I post information and links to other sites that deal with legal technology and office management. (I never tweet about what I am having for lunch – too boring – or where I am going or what I am doing.) These messages are really to share some of the information that I receive that I really think could be of service to members, especially solo and small firm practitioners. Again, to receive these 140-character tweets of wisdom, follow me at http://twitter.com/MSBALOMA. Some recent links include:
- Disaster Recovery Resources for Solo and Small Firms from the ABA Legal Technology Resources Center (http://bit.ly/2uhK3B)
- Everything You Need to Know About Upgrading to Win 7 from FutureLawyer (http://bit.ly/1ikQaB)
- 10 Tips for Lawyers to Practice Safe Social Networking (http://tinyurl.com/yzcf8bn)
Become a David Pogue Junkie
I actually discovered David Pogue from someone I follow on Twitter. David Pogue is a New York Times technology columnist with a very, very irreverent point of view. He also offers some great information on products and how they work or don’t work. Visit his blog at http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com. I highly recommend it.
Have a good Thanksgiving. I hope I saw you at the Solo Conference. If not, watch for information on how to get all the videos and materials online beginning in January.