The publications and continuing legal education programs you need are a click away! MSBA’s new online catalog makes it easy to access a variety of courses and order books or other publications wherever, whenever it’s convenient. In addition to registering for in-person events, you now have the option to purchase and view programs online, and purchase the legal publications you need wherever you can access the Internet. Our catalog includes content developed by the Maryland Bar and federal content developed by other CLE providers. To view the MSBA’s comprehensive online CLE catalog, please visit www.legalspan.com/msba/intro.asp.
With the advent of the New Year, your MSBA CLE Department continues the expansion of convenient Maryland CLE sources with the offering of live, simulcast webcasts that will be offered through a platform that enables viewers anywhere in the state to get CLE credit from surrounding states for their online attendance.
In the nine months since I joined the MSBA to help build a CLE department, I’ve met with many of the Section councils to discuss how we can work together, as we will rely on the various Sections to keep us apprised of the important issues in their practice areas so we can focus our programming on their needs. Many of the Section councils assign a CLE “liaison”; if your Section has such a person, I’m happy to meet or speak with your liaison, and if no such person has been designated, I can meet with your council. We will collaborate on possible topics, best delivery methods, pricing, dates and locations, as well as ensuring the programming meets the standards of the surrounding states with whom we’re an accredited CLE provider.
UPCOMING LIVE CLE PROGRAMS:
- JANUARY 27, 2011. The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and Regulation of Attorney Debt Collection. 9:00 a.m. – 12:15 p.m., Columbia, MD. Register now atwww.msba.org. [Video replays: Rockville (3/3/11) and Baltimore (3/10/11), same times as live program.]
- FEBRUARY 17, 2011. Preparation and Trial of a Personal Injury Case. 9:00 a.m. – 1:15 p.m., Columbia, MD. Experienced litigators teach a comprehensive approach to valuing and trying a PI case. Register now atwww.msba.org. [Video replays: Rockville (3/24/11) and Baltimore (3/31/11), same times as live program.]
- FEBRUARY 25, 2011. The New Maryland Power of Attorney (POA) Act and its Impact Across Practice Areas: What Estate and Trust, Elder Law, Business Law, and Real Estate Practitioners Need to Know. 9:00 a.m. – 1:15 p.m., Columbia, MD. Register now atwww.msba.org. [Video replays: Rockville (4/12/11) and Baltimore (4/7/11), same times as live program.]
- MARCH 9, 2011. Advanced Bankruptcy Institute. 9:00 a.m. – 1:15 p.m., Baltimore, MD. Legislative and case law updates and a complex case study for the business bankruptcy lawyer. Register now at www.msba.org.
- MARCH 15, 2011. Recent Developments in Estate Administration with Allan J. Gibber. 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., Baltimore, MD (and webcast). All registrants have the option of receiving a copy of the new 2011 6th Edition of “Gibber on Estate Administration. Registration opening soon.
- MARCH 18, 2011. Handling the Drinking and Driving Case in Maryland. Everything you need to know to handle the case from initial interview to trial. 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Columbia, MD.
- APRIL 29, 2011. Land Use Institute. 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., location to be announced. Comprehensive review of current topics and major issues affecting land-use planning and zoning in Maryland and throughout the country. Registration opening soon.
- MAY 19, 2011. 2011 Hot Tips in Workers’ Compensation. 9:00 a.m. – 1:15 p.m., Columbia, MD. This is an annual sell-out program for the WC practitioner – get all the legislative and case law updates. Registration opening soon.
The MSBA CLE Publications Department is pleased to announce the upcoming publication of the 2011 Supplements to Gibber on Estate Administration, 5th Edition and Appellate Practice for the Maryland Lawyer, 3rd Edition. The 2011 supplements to these two sought-after publications will be available in late February. Watch MSBA’s website for further details.
- The MSBA CLE Publications Department announces the publication of The Maryland Rules of Evidence — 2010 Pocket Edition. This handy pocket-sized (4” x 6”) book allows you to carry the Maryland Rules of Evidence with you to court or anywhere. Formatted for easy reading and quick reference, this small volume covers all the Rules, with Committee notes and historical references. The new 2010 Revised Edition includes all the current rules through 2010. Visit www.legalspan.com/msba/intro.asp?UGUID= for more information.
- The 2010 Supplement to Pleading Causes of Action in Maryland, now available from the MSBA, brings the Fourth Edition up-to-the-minute with Paul Mark Sandler and James K. Archibald’s citation, discussion and analysis of new cases decided since the Fourth Edition was published in May 2008. This First Supplement to the Fourth Edition includes opinions issued from January 1, 2008, through December 31, 2009, (as well as some issued in the first quarter of 2010) by the Maryland Court of Appeals, the Maryland Court of Special Appeals and the United States District Court for the District of Maryland. Several additional causes of action and model complaints are included in the new Supplement. Pleading Causes of Action in Maryland has become the starting point for drafting virtually all initial pleadings in Maryland. To order your copy, please visit the MSBA’s online catalog at www.legalspan.com/msba/catalog.asp?UGUID=&CategoryID=&ItemID=20101019-272095-173539.