Fall is always a busy season for the CLE department, and this year is no exception. Late October will see the return of the popular 40-hour Basic Mediation Skills Training, as well as the introduction of an all new program from the Elder Law Section, “Asset Management and Medical Decision Making”.
The always popular “Advanced Tax Institute” starts off November, and the Litigation Section offers a new program, “Arguing and Opposing Motions for Summary Judgment”, that month.
Keep an eye on the MSBA website for all upcoming live programs. If you cannot attend the live program many are being webcast concurrent with the live program and you can find these programs available online, on demand approximately four weeks after the live program in addition to video replays available in Montgomery County and Baltimore City. All video replays and online programming carry CLE credit just like the live programs. See below for details.
Thank you again for your continued support and, of course, thank you to our fine volunteer faculty that make the exceptional CLE programs offered by this office possible.
- October 17-19 and 29-30, 2012. 40 Hour Basic Mediation Training. Baltimore, MD. 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Register now.
- October 26, 2012. Asset Management and Medical Decision Making. Columbia, MD. 9:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. Register now.*
- November 5 and 7-9, 2012. 2012 Advanced Tax Institute. Baltimore, MD. 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Register now.
- November 12, 2012. Arguing and Opposing Motions for Summary Judgment: A Litigation Skills Workshop. Baltimore, MD. 9:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. Registration opening soon.
- November 29, 2012. Basic Estate Tax Planning. Columbia, MD. 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Registration opening soon.
[To receive a free or discounted slot for the programs marked (*), volunteers and staff lawyers should register through the Pro Bono Resource Center of Maryland by calling 410-837-9379; 800-396-1274; emailing Kiah Elmore at; or visiting www.probonomd.org/cletraining.html.]
The video replay schedule is as follows:
- October 18, 2012. Essential Escrow Account Management Skills for Lawyers. Baltimore, MD.
- November 15, 2012. 2012 Criminal Law Update. Rockville, MD.
- November 20, 2012. 2012 Criminal Law Update. Baltimore, MD.
- November 29, 2012. Asset Management. Rockville, MD.
- Necember 4, 2012. Asset Management. Baltimore, MD.
- Necember 13, 2012. Medical Decision Making. Rockville, MD.
- Necember 18, 2012. Medical Decision Making. Baltimore, MD.
Upcoming webcasts of recent MSBA CLE seminars include:
- November 8, 2012. 2012 Criminal Law Update.
And newly available online, on-demand seminars include 2012 Family Practice Update; Essential Escrow Account Management Skills for Lawyers; Collecting Debts: From Pre-Suit to Judgment Enforcement; Hot Tips in Workers’ Compensation 2012; Practical Approaches to Guardianship in Maryland; Analyzing Financial Reports for Public Companies: What Every Lawyer Should Know; Maryland Construction Law; Hot Tips/Topics in Family Law 2012; Accounting Principles for Lawyers: Non-Public Companies and Trusts; Being the Trustee: Understanding the Rights and Responsibilities; 2012 Business Law Institute; 2012 Advanced Estate Planning Institute; and Hot Topics in Elder Law. Visit the website to purchase these programs.
The Practice Manual for the Maryland Lawyer, Fourth Edition is the best how-to-guide and fundamental reference on the essentials of Maryland law practice. It is the ultimate practical, nuts and bolts resource. The new edition is available and shipping.
This first update since 2008 brings the Practice Manual up to the minute! For more than thirty years it has served as both a cornerstone for new lawyers who are building real-world know-how and a touchstone for seasoned practitioners who trust its reliable, concise authority.
Its two volumes include 16 chapters covering key practice areas of law, with over 1,400 pages of practical information and how-to pointers from experienced, accomplished Maryland practitioners.
The two volumes include more than 300 forms (most on an optional forms CD) to give you a valuable head start on drafting almost every basic practice document.
This essential resource includes chapters on:
- Law Office Economics Management and Fees
- Administrative Law
- Adoption, Guardianship and Change of Name
- Business Organizations
- Collection of Contract Debts
- Criminal Law
- Estate Administration
- Family Law
- Landlord and Tenant
- Preparation & Trial of Tort Claims
- Real Estate Transactions
- Wills and Estate Planning
- Workers’ Compensation
- Traffic Law
- Elder Law
You may also purchase a CD that contains selected sample forms from the book formatted in Rich Text format (fully compatible with WordPerfect® or Microsoft Word® format). The forms CD is not sold separately without prior publication purchase.
Order your copy today from the MSBA’s CLE Department online catalog.