Keep an eye on the MSBA website for all upcoming live programs. If you cannot attend the live program many are being webcast concurrent with the live program and you can find these programs available online, on-demand approximately four weeks after the live program, in addition to video replays available in Montgomery County and Baltimore City. All video replays and online programming carry CLE credit just like the live programs. See below for details.
Thank you again for your continued support and, of course, thank you to our fine volunteer faculty that make the exceptional CLE programs offered by this office possible.
- March 15, 2013. 2013 MSBA Construction Law Deskbook Event. 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Registration opening soon.
- March 19, 26; APRIL 9, 16, and 23, 2013. Basics of Real Estate Transactions – Evening Series. Columbia, MD. Registration opening soon.
- April 16, 2013. 2013 Administrative Law Institute. Details TBD. Registration opening soon.
- April 18, 2013. MSBA Employment Law Basics. Columbia, MD. 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Register now.*
- April 22, 2013. 4th Annual Animal Law Symposium. Baltimore, MD. 8:55 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Register now.*
- April 25, 2013. 2013 Business Law Institute. Details TBD. Registration opening soon.
[To receive a free or discounted slot for the programs marked (*), volunteers and staff lawyers should register through the Pro Bono Resource Center of Maryland by calling 410-837-9379; 800-396-1274; emailing Kiah Elmore at firstname.lastname@example.org; or visiting www.probonomd.org/continuing-legal-education.]
- May 21, 2013. MSBA Employment Law Basics. Baltimore, MD.
- May 30, 2013. MSBA Employment Law Basics. Columbia, MD.
- January 21, 2013. Being the Trustee: Understanding the Role and Responsibilities.
- January 22, 2013. Asset Management.
- January 23, 2013. Maryland Construction Law.
- January 24, 2013. Practical Approaches to Guardianship in Maryland.
- January 28, 2013. 2012 Business Law Institute (Ballroom Session).
- January 29, 2013. Basic Estate Tax Planning.
- January 31, 2013. 2012 Business Law Institute (Breakout Session).
- Hot Tips/Topics in Family Law 2012.
- Maryland Construction Law.
- Accounting Principles for Lawyers: Non-Public Companies and Trusts.
- Being the Trustee: Understanding the Rights and Responsibilities.
- Analyzing Financial Reports for Public Companies: What Every Lawyer Should Know.
- 2012 Business Law Institute.
- 2012 Advanced Estate Planning Institute.
- Hot Tips in Workers’ Compensation 2012.
- Practical Approaches to Guardianship in Maryland.
- Collecting Debts: From Pre-Suit to Judgment Enforcement.
- Hot Topics in Elder Law.
- 2012 Family Practice Update.
- Essential Escrow Account Management Skills for Lawyers.
- 2012 Criminal Law Update.
- Asset Management and Medical Decision Making.
Visit the online CLE catalog to register for events and to purchase the on-demand seminars.
The 2012 edition of Basic Estate Tax Planning is the Maryland attorney’s most complete and practical guide to the process of estate tax planning and the drafting of basic provisions to achieve the most favorable estate tax consequences.
Basic Estate Tax Planning, edited by Angela M. Vallario, Associate Professor of Law at the University of Baltimore, is designed primarily as a reference for attorneys advising clients whose wealth exceeds or nearly exceeds the federal estate tax exemption amount.
This edition features sample clauses throughout, as well as current exemption equivalents, annual exclusions, and federal and Maryland tax rates. The authors have added planning considerations that flow from the decoupling of the Maryland estate tax from the federal estate tax, including guidance on solving the problems posed by Maryland’s estate tax and the complexities of its interaction with the federal state death tax credit when the underlying rules no longer exist for federal estate tax purposes.
The book discusses durable powers of attorney, irrevocable insurance trusts, revocable trusts, and their tax consequences. The book includes practical information and an abundance of drafting suggestions and sample provisions, including the use of marital bequests and trusts, and the Maryland QTIP.
An optional companion CD-ROM of the sample clauses used in the book is available when you select the book and CD purchase option. The two volumes include more than 300 forms (most on an optional forms CD) to give you a valuable head start on drafting almost every basic practice document.
A chapter summary follows:
- Overview of Federal Estate Tax Tools
- Coordination of Asset Ownership and Disposition to Accomplish the Overall Estate Plan
- Credit Shelter Planning
- Marital Deduction Planning
- Lifetime Gifts
- Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts
Order your copy today from the MSBA’s CLE Department online catalog.