Greetings to Section Members!
A brief update on our activities, some upcoming events, and a call for volunteers.
- At its Annual Meeting the MSBA awarded our Section the "Presidential Best Section Project to Benefit the Public. . . in Recognition of their Efforts on the Filing Fees Legislation." Our Section played a key role in garnering MSBA support and lobbying the General Assembly to increase filing fee surcharges on civil cases in order to make up the short fall of IOLTA funding for legal services for the poor. Passage of this legislation has enabled the Maryland Legal Services Corporation to restore its funding of 34 legal services organizations to 2009 levels. Without the fee increase, MLSC funding would have been drastically curtailed this year.
- We're preparing for the next General Assembly session. We expect there will be an effort to reallocate the $500,000 from the Abandoned Property Fund away from indigent legal services. In addition, a coalition has been working to ready a bill to prohibit discrimination in housing based upon source of income. Such discrimination hurts people in disfavored professions (i.e. attorneys), and people reliant upon alimony or public benefits.
- We anticipate publishing by the first of next year, "Guardianship and its Alternatives: A Handbook on Maryland Law." Providing the heavy lifting on this project are Professor Virginia Rowthorn and law students Daria Grayer and Andrew Montagna (University of Maryland School of Law), as well as attorney Ellen Callegary of Callegary & Steedman.
- Also soon to be released is the evaluation of the Judicare Pilot Project that our Section helped to establish, providing low bono, reduced-fee legal services for family law matters in several counties.
- Check out our September 15, 2010 meeting minutes for more.
SAVE THE DATES
- CELEBRATE PRO BONO RECOGNITION RECEPTION
Maryland Volunteer Lawyers Service
Tuesday, October 26, 2010 at 6:00pm - FREE!
This reception is held to honor volunteers, students, donors and friends.
Guest Speaker: Juan Williams, NPR and Fox News Analyst
Westminster Hall (University of Maryland School of Law)
519 West Fayette Street, Baltimore
Kindly RSVP by October 15, 2010 to email@example.com or 410.451.4062
- CELEBRATING 20 YEARS OF ENSURING EQUAL JUSTICE
PBRC Benefit Gala
Saturday, November 13, 2010
The Pro Bono Resource Center
Cylburn Arboretum, 7pm to 11pm
4915 Greenspring Avenue, Balt 21209
- ANNUAL AWARDS DINNER
Maryland Legal Services Corporation
Monday, December 6, 2010
Tickets to Purchase
Radisson Plaza, Lord Baltimore
20 W Baltimore St
Baltimore, MD 21201
CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS
- We are looking for a Section member who is interested in participating on the MSBA Planning Committee in order to represent this Section in the long term planning process. We are concerned that MSBA governance is dominated by attorneys in private practice and does not represent the diversity of Maryland attorneys. If you are interested in participating please send your resume and a letter of interest to DLS Section Chair, Suzanne Sangree at firstname.lastname@example.org
- People's Law Library will soon launch its new website. They are seeking assistance in developing treatment of motor vehicles, adoptions, will and estates, and how to begin a lawsuit. PLL depends upon volunteer lawyers for content. Contact Michael Craven 410 260-1704 to volunteer. Michael.email@example.com
- The Baltimore County Bar Association is launching a walk-in clinic for non-family law issues for Oct. Nov and Dec. from 4:30 to 6:30 at the Circuit Courthouse. Check their website for details. They need volunteers to staff the clinic.