Family law matters can be a trying process for all parties involved. These matters cover everything from child custody and support, to de facto parenting, property distribution, alimony, spousal support, settlement agreements, divorce, separation, and more. Practitioners serving clients in this broad area of law know the importance of staying up to date on relevant statutes, rules, and case law, and they trust the Maryland Divorce & Separation Law treatise as a resource and reference guide.
For Maryland practitioners who lead clients through the complexities of divorce and separation, Maryland Divorce & Separation Law serves as an easy-to-follow guide with tips, sample forms, and topical discussions. The Eleventh Edition, available now, continues to shed light on topics like pleadings and litigation tactics and highlights a number of technical changes and evolving developments, including, for example:
- Changes to Maryland’s Child Support Guidelines (e.g., changes to the percentage of overnights for using shared physical custody and an increase in the upper limit of the Guidelines)
- New Parenting Plan requirements
- Implications of the Daubert standard as applied to the admissibility of expert testimony by custody evaluators
- Impact of 2017 Tax Cuts & Jobs Act (TCJA) on parental tax exemptions
- Recent developments in case law regarding the custody of pre-embryo
- Beginning September 13, 2023, all purchasers of Maryland Divorce & Separation Law will receive a downloadable Supplement to Chapter 1: Divorce. This supplement includes an overview of the substantial changes to Maryland’s divorce law effective October 1, 2023, including the repeal of limited divorce; the deletion of fault-based grounds such as fault-based grounds for divorce such as adultery, desertion, and cruelty of treatment, and the addition of grounds for a divorce based on irreconcilable differences.
Updated by expert practitioners, the treatise also covers a range of divorce and separation topics from initial steps to final resolution. Other topics covered include:
- Separate, detailed chapters on Alimony and Child Support
- An outline of the procedural requirements as set forth in the Maryland Rules, a summary of the Maryland Code’s Family Law title, and a discussion of available remedies, with practice tips and strategies
- Discussion of statutes and rules and case law governing legal principles that apply to all aspects of practice including grounds for divorce, child custody, child support, de facto parenting, property distribution, alimony, spousal support, settlement agreements, adoption, paternity, children in need of assistance (CINA), tax considerations, and employee benefits
- Pleading and litigation tactics in domestic cases
- Contains a form settlement agreement that enables you to choose from various provisions including those relating to custody, visitation, child support, alimony and property distribution, to enable you to select the ones that fit the particular circumstances of a case
- Includes sample forms (includes a sample Marital Settlement Agreement) and court orders for QDROs, QCOs, and WMCSOs, as well as a table of cases, table of authorities, and index
This publication is available in softcover and electronic form. To purchase, please click here.