Join us for the 100% Virtual Legal Summit & Annual Meeting featuring 80+ live and OnDemand programs across 8 New Learning Tracks. LEARN MORE

Domestic violence happens when one person abuses another person (usually an intimate partner) physically, psychologically, emotionally, verbally, sexually, or economically. A quarter of women, and over an eighth of men, have reported being victims of severe physical violence by an intimate partner.

If this applies to you, help is available. You can use the legal process to get protection or press criminal charges, and you can find confidential help from a network of organizations in every Maryland county.

Safety, resources, and legal help

If you are in danger, call 9-1-1, and get help immediately.

You can also use the directory of Domestic Violence Services to find an organization in your county that can help. You can also read about Creating a Safety Plan, and Finding a Safe Place to Go.

One Legal Option: A Civil Protective Order

One option is to ask the court for a protective order. With a protective order, a judge can provide a wide range of help by restricting or requiring the abuser to take (or not take) certain actions. Protective orders are available through the District Courts and Circuit Courts in each county. A protective order hearing does not require criminal charges to be filed against the abuser.

This article on Protective Orders will explain the details about this option:

  • What orders can a judge make to protect you, as part of the protective order?
  • Who qualifies to file for a protective order?
  • What is the court process involved in getting a protective order?

Another Legal Option: Pressing Criminal Charges

A second option is to work with the police or a District Court Commissioner to file criminal charges against the abuser. In this option, the abuser may be arrested or summoned to court. If the abuser is charged, a state’s attorney will handle the case, and you may or may not be asked to testify. The abuser may be sentenced to jail time.

This article on Filing Criminal Charges will explain the details about this option.

The articles linked from this introduction are maintained by a cooperative effort of the People’s Law Library of Maryland and the Maryland State Bar Association.

Domestic Violence Resources in Maryland

Allegany County
Family Crisis Resource Center
146 Bedford Street
Cumberland, MD 21502
Hotline: 301-759-9244
Office: 301-759-9246

Anne Arundel County
YWCA Domestic Violence Services
1517 Ritchie Highway, Suite 101
Arnold, MD 21012
Hotline: 410-222-6800
Office: 410-626-7800

Baltimore City
House of Ruth Maryland*
Hotline: 410-889-7884
Office: 410-889-0840
TTY: 410-889-0047

TurnAround, Inc
2300 N. Charles Street 2nd FL
Baltimore, MD 21218
Helpline: 443-279-0379
Office: 410–837-7000

Women’s Law Center of Maryland
Office: 410-783-0377

Baltimore County
County-wide Hotline:

West Baltimore County
Family and Children’s Services of Central MD*
7000 Security Blvd., Suite 302
Baltimore, MD 21244
Hotline: 410-828-6390
Office: 410-281-1334

East Baltimore County
Family Crisis Center of Baltimore County, Inc.
Office: 410-285-4357
Shelter: 410-285-7496

North/Central Baltimore County

TurnAround, Inc.
Office: 410-377-8111

Calvert County
Crisis Intervention Center
Route 4 at Hospital Road
P.O. Box 980
Prince Frederick, MD 20678
Hotline: 410-535-1121

Carroll County
Family and Children’s Services of Central MD*
22 North Court Street
Westminster, MD 21157
Hotline: 443-865-8031
Office: 410-876-1233

Caroline County
Mid-Shore Council on Family Violence*
8626 Brooks Drive, Suite 102
Easton, MD 21601
Office 410-690-3222

Cecil County

Cecil County Domestic Violence/Rape Crisis Center – The Bridge
P.O. Box 1160
Elkton, MD 21922
Hotline: 410-996-0333

Charles County
Center for Abused Persons
2670 Crain Hightway, Room 303
Waldorf, MD 20601
Hotline: 301-645-3336
Office: 301-645-8994

Dorchester County

(see Caroline County)

Frederick County
Heartly House
P.O. Box 857
Frederick, MD 21705
Hotline / Office: 301-662-8800

Garrett County
The Dove Center
12978 Garrett Highway, Suite 101
Oakland, MD 21550
Hotline: 301-334-9000
Oakland Office: 301-334-6255
Grantsville Office: 301-895-4300

Harford County
Sexual Assault /Spouse Abuse Resource Center (SARC)*
P.O. Box 1207
Bel Air, MD 21014
Hotline: 410-836-8430
Office: 410-836-8431

Howard County
HopeWorks of Howard County
5457 Twin Knolls Road, Suite 310
Columbia, MD 21045
Hotline: 410-997-2272 or 800-752-0191
Office: 410-997-0304

Kent County

(see Caroline County)

Montgomery County
Abused Persons Program*
1301 Piccard Drive, 1st FL, Ste. 1400
Rockville, MD 20850
Hotline: 240777-4673
Office: 240-777-4210
TTY: 240-777-4850

House of Ruth Maryland (Legal Services)*
Office: 240-777-9077

Prince George’s County
Family Crisis Center of Prince George’s County, Inc.
3601 Taylor Street
Brentwood, MD 20722
Office: 301-779-2100

House of Ruth Maryland (Legal and Counseling Services)*
Office: 240-450-3270

Queen Anne’s County

(see Caroline County)

Somerset County
Life Crisis Center*
P.O. Box 387
Salisbury, MD 21803
Hotline: 410-749-4357 or 410-641-4357
Office: 410-749-0771

St. Mary’s County
Walden/Sierra, Inc.
26845 Point Lookout Road
Leonardtown, MD 20650
Hotline: 301-863-6661
Office: 301-997-1300

Talbot County

(see Caroline County)

Washington County
CASA (Citizens Assisting and Sheltering the Abused)
116 West Baltimore Street
Hagerstown, MD 21740
Hotline: 301-739-8975
Office: 301-739-4990
TTY: 301-739-1012

Wicomico County
Life Crisis Center*

(see Somerset County)

Worcester County
Life Crisis Center*
(see Somerset County)

* Agencies that provide program services in the Spanish language.

La violencia doméstica sucede cuando una persona maltrata a otra (por lo general, una pareja íntima) de manera física, psicológica, emocional, verbal, sexual o económica. Una cuarta parte de las mujeres, y más de un octavo de los hombres, han informado ser víctimas de violencia física grave de parte de una pareja íntima.

Si esto le sucede a usted, hay ayuda disponible. Puede usar el proceso legal para obtener protección o presentar cargos criminales, y puede encontrar ayuda confidencial de una red de organizaciones en cada condado de Maryland.

Seguridad, recursos y ayuda legal

Si está en peligro, llame al 9-1-1 y obtenga ayuda de inmediato.

También puede usar el directorio de Domestic Violence Services (Servicios contra la Violencia Doméstica) para encontrar una organización en su condado que pueda ayudar. También puede leer sobre Crear un plan de seguridad y Encontrar un lugar seguro adónde ir.

Una opción legal:orden de protección civil

Una opción es solicitar una orden de protección al tribunal. Con una orden de protección, un juez puede ofrecer una gama amplia de ayudas al restringir o exigir al agresor que tome (o no tome) ciertas acciones. Las órdenes de protección están disponibles a través de los Tribunales de Distrito y los Tribunales de Circuito en cada condado. Una audiencia para que se dicte una orden de protección no exige que se presenten cargos criminales contra el agresor.

Este artículo sobre Órdenes de protección explicará los detalles sobre esta opción:

  • ¿Qué órdenes puede dictar un juez para protegerlo como parte de la orden de protección?
  • ¿Quién califica para presentar una orden de protección?
  • ¿Cuál es el proceso judicial que implica obtener una orden de protección?

Otra opción legal:presentar cargos criminales

Una segunda opción es trabajar con la policía o un Comisionado del Tribunal del Distrito para presentar cargos criminales en contra del agresor. En esta opción, se puede arrestar al agresor o se puede convocar para que comparezca ante el tribunal. Si se presentan cargos contra el agresor, un abogado del estado manejará el caso, y puede que usted sea llamado o no a testificar. Puede que el agresor sea condenado a pasar tiempo en la cárcel.

Este artículo sobre Presentación de cargos criminales explicará los detalles sobre esta opción.

Los artículos con enlaces en esta introducción se mantienen a través de un esfuerzo de colaboración de la People’s Law Library (Biblioteca Jurídica del Pueblo) de Maryland y el Colegio de Abogados del estado de Maryland (MSBA).