The Maryland State Bar Association (MSBA), the statewide professional association for members of the legal profession in the State of Maryland, invites applications for the position of Executive Director. Applications for the Executive Director position will be reviewed on a rolling, expedited basis, so the MSBA encourages qualified candidates to submit their application promptly.
About the MSBA:
The Maryland State Bar Association is a 125-year-old institution charged with representing the legal profession in Maryland, providing member services, and promoting professionalism, diversity in the legal profession, access to justice, service to the public, and respect for the rule of law. To deliver upon this mission, over the past five years the MSBA has been on a journey to expand its value proposition for its members, enhance and improve the quality and quantity of content available for its members, make itself more accessible to its members, modernize its approach to association/member engagement and member/member engagement, diversify leadership to better reflect the entire legal profession in Maryland, facilitate and deliver advocacy on behalf of the legal profession across Maryland, and support its members throughout their careers, where and when they need it. The results of this journey have been exceptional, positioning the MSBA as one of the best performing voluntary bar associations in the country.
Role of the Executive Director:
To achieve this success, the Executive Director of the MSBA leads an exceptional team of high-performing directors and staff charged with driving key initiatives and programs identified in the MSBA’s strategic plan, prioritized and curated under the leadership of the Executive Director, and approved by the MSBA Board of Governors. The Executive Director regularly consults and collaborates with the MSBA’s Officers, Executive Committee, the Board of Governors, and other volunteer leaders to drive the priorities and objectives adopted by the Board of Governors. In addition, the Executive Director takes an active role in MSBA-affiliated entities, MSBA activities, and often stands as the face of the MSBA. The MSBA Executive Director regularly engages with MSBA members, members of the state and federal judiciary, state and federal legislators, business and industry leaders, and other high-profile friends of the MSBA.
Responsibilities and Duties of the Executive Director:
The Executive Director of the MSBA must possess a comprehensive understanding of the modern bar association landscape and share the MSBA’s vision of modernizing the association, while continuing to execute upon the MSBA’s strategic plan and always staying mindful of new strategies to enhance our value proposition for our members, strategic opportunities, and threats to the MSBA’s mission.
Strategic Planning & Execution
The MSBA is guided by a strategic plan adopted by the MSBA Board of Governors in May 2018. A core responsibility of the incoming Executive Director will be to understand all aspects of the MSBA’s strategic plan and:
- ensure execution of the MSBA’s existing strategic priorities and objectives;
- oversee the MSBA’s directors and staff to ensure progress with respect to the MSBA’s strategic priorities and objectives and other initiatives undertaken by the MSBA;
- continue strategic planning and implementation of programs and projects related to governance reform, content development and strategy, continuing legal education, member engagement, and modernization;
- continue strategic initiatives to support and enhance members sections and committees to deliver value and engagement for MSBA members and the legal profession in Maryland; and
- lead and collaborate with volunteer leaders in future strategic planning efforts to ensure the MSBA is planning for and responding to the voluntary bar landscape and positioning itself for continued, long term success.
People & Culture
As leader of the MSBA staff, the MSBA Executive Director is responsible for maintaining and further developing a strong, positive, and resilient culture among the MSBA staff. In this role, and as the ultimate decision maker with respect to the MSBA staff, the Executive Director is responsible for:
- identifying, recruiting, training, and developing a talented team of employees who can lead critical departments and manage strategic business functions in a high visibility, fast-paced environment;
- developing an organizational culture focused on delivering results for a sophisticated and engaged membership while building dependability and resiliency;
- maintaining an effective and engaged team in a remote first work environment; and
- continuing the MSBA’s certification as a Great Place to Work.™
Operations & Execution
As the chief executive officer, the MSBA Executive Director is responsible for the day to day operations of the MSBA, including:
- managing day to day operations of the MSBA and related and affiliated organizations, including the Maryland Bar Foundation;
- creating new initiatives and programs based on trends in the legal profession, bar associations, and for profit businesses operating in the legal space;
- developing partnerships with volunteer leaders, the members of the state and federal judiciary situated in Maryland, Maryland state and federal legislators, and executives, related industry leaders, and other strategic partners to further enhance the MSBA’s relevance and influence;
- developing an annual budget and five-year budget outlook;
- managing MSBA’s cash reserves and carefully utilizing MSBA’s line of credit as needed for responsible cash management;
- Identifying potential risks and opportunities within the MSBA and the modern bar association environment to protect the interests of the MSBA’s members and the business interests of the MSBA.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- 3-4 years of director level management and administration experience (bar association experience preferred).
- Advanced degree required (JD degree preferred, but not required).
- Experience as a senior director or officer of a multi-faceted, mission-driven organization.
- Experience managing a dynamic, educated, remote workforce.
- Experience leading strategic planning and implementation efforts.
- Strong in-person communication, collaboration, and consensus-building skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated problem-solving and solution-based thinking.
- Demonstrated history of progressive leadership experience within organizations.
Salary & Benefits:
The MSBA offers competitive salary and benefits. Limited relocation expense reimbursement is available.
Qualified candidates should submit a detailed cover letter, resume, two letters of recommendation, and salary requirements by email to EDSearch@msba.org by no later than 5:00 PM on Friday, September 30, 2022.
The Maryland State Bar Association (MSBA) actively promotes and encourages applications for employment from diverse candidates. The MSBA does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, pregnancy, gender, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship status, genetic information, military status, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, family responsibilities, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.