Join the MSBA for an all new presentation of Ethics of Freelance Legal Services: Issues and Best Practices on Tuesday, March 14, 2023 at 11 a.m.!
Claude E. Ducloux, Board-Certified in both Civil Trial Law and Civil Appellate Law, by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, (and also licensed in CA and CO) and former Chair of the Texas Center for Legal Ethics will offer a 60 minute presentation with annotated powerpoint covering:
- What are the Attributes of a Freelance lawyer? What types of services?
- Review of the Ethical Rules to be observed by the Hiring Lawyer or Firm
- What Duties of Confidentiality must be observed? What Fiduciary Duties?
- Conflicts of Interest: What should each side be required to disclose?
- How to appropriately limit access of the Freelance lawyer to other firm matters
- Benefits of hiring a Freelance Lawyer
- Benefits of Being the Freelance Lawyer
- Does the Freelance lawyer form an attorney client relationship with the underlying client?
- Confirmation of Independent Contractor Status.
- Supervisory responsibilities: what should be required ethically?
- Freelance vs. “unbundled” legal Services
- Pleadings required in some jurisdictions for limited-scope representation
- Best Practices to observe in Freelance Services
For more information and to register click HERE.
This presentation is FREE for MSBA Members as part of the Virtual Learning Pass membership benefit!
One hour of ethics credit will be offered for the surrounding MCLE states. If you miss the livestream, it will be available on the MSBA CLE catalog.