Over 40 Years of d Help
For Toll-Free Confidential Help call 1-888-388-5459
The Maryland Lawyer Assistance Program has Assisted Thousands of Maryland Lawyers. We provide free, confidential assistance to all Maryland lawyers, judges, and law school students by offering assessment, referral, short-term counseling, and continued support to ensure long term success. We offer a network of counselors that can assist you no matter what state you are living in. If you are concerned about another lawyer you can make an anonymous referral to the Lawyer Assistance Program. We offer financial assistance for Mental Health and Substance Abuse treatment.
Getting Back to You
By Wendy Meadows, Esq.
Now that fall is in the air and the kids are back to school (hopefully they are still IN school by the time you are reading this), it might feel like time to get back to you. If you are anything like me, September feels more like the start of a new year and a new beginning than January. What should that mean for you? Is it time to start a new routine? Easy answer? Yes. Better answer? Pick up a few things (or just one) that are do-able.
If you don’t know where to start, do you think you can add in one of these things?
- Can you walk for 30 minutes every day?
- Can you drink 16 ounces of water as soon as you wake up every day?
- Can you cut out all coffee and caffeine by 2PM every day?
- At 3PM today when you might hit that slump, can you chug another 16 ounces of water and do 20 jumping jacks (ok, do the jacks first!)?
- When you get home from work, can you hide your phone (and your work email) and not look at it until the kids are asleep?
- Can you have your whole family sit at the dinner table tonight? Can you make sure each member of the family shares their rose and thorn? (If you are unfamiliar with this exercise, the “rose” is the high point of someone’s day and the “thorn” is the low point).
- At dinner tonight, can you make your plate ½ vegetables?
- After dinner, can you pledge that you will not eat snacks on the couch?
- Can you plug in your phone downstairs and away from your bed when you go to sleep tonight?
If you are already doing one or most of these, great, you are ahead! If this list seems overwhelming, pick the one that seems the most do-able, and do it.
Look at your calendar right now . . . schedule a time . . . block it in . . . text your wife/husband/partner/kid . . . and commit to yourself that today will be different. Why not tomorrow? Because I want you to learn that it is never too soon to start and it is never too late to turn your day around. If you can learn that today and add one small healthy habit to your schedule today, then we have both just had a massively successful day.
I would love to hear from you and what habits you added to your day and how they made a difference!
Wendy S. Meadows