Stress can lower your immune system and make you more susceptible to illness. Diaphragmatic Breathing is one way to help you relax, reduce your stress and lower the harmful effects of the stress hormone cortisol on the body.
Diaphragmatic Breathing Instructions
- Sit in a comfortable position or lie flat on the floor, your bed, or another comfortable, flat surface.
- Relax your shoulders.
- Put a hand on your chest and a hand on your stomach.
- Breathe in through your nose for about four seconds. You should feel your stomach expand.
- Hold for 4 seconds
- Exhale slowly through your mouth or nose for about eight seconds. Try to take twice as long to exhale as you did to inhale.
- Repeat these steps several times for best results.