As the MSBA continues to evolve and bring more value to members, we are seeking an attorney to help in our efforts. We welcome a dynamic attorney into the role of Senior Sections Manager to work with our various practice-based Sections in producing and developing content and programs. This role is well-suited for an attorney who has spent a few years practicing law, such as a litigator, and who can connect with and guide Section members to further the MSBA’s strategic goals.
The Senior Sections Manager – Content Development and Programming is an attorney primarily focused on the development of tools, resources, special meetings and events that bolster an attorney’s knowledge and proficiency in their area(s) of focus. This attorney position is focused 70% on writing/development of materials (for web, digital products, subscriptions, and Section exclusive content) and 30% development of substantive programming which would likely garner CLE accreditation.
Key Partnerships & Collaboration
This role will work closely with the Section Manager – Administration & Events, the Continuing Learning & Education group, the Content Group, Director of Legislative Affairs, and volunteer leaders within Section Councils.
Driving the Value Proposition
Per survey data, the majority of members of MSBA Sections do not participate in in-person activities and have conveyed a desire for enhanced and more varied virtual and on-demand content, programming and advocacy opportunities. This will necessitate a transition from small group events and meetings to delivery of a steady stream of valuable resources and opportunities that the majority of non in-person centric Section members will benefit from.
Content and Program Development (Primary Focus)
- (1) Develop, (2) curate and (3) solicit articles/long and short form content and tools, checklists, and other resources for Sections for delivery via a wide array of channels (Section communications and newsletters, Section portal/homepage, compilation products (free and for purchase), the Maryland Bar Journal, social media channels (as teaser content seeking to acquire new members) and other channels.
- Ensure the existence and effective performance of Section communication methods (newsletters, MSBA Connect, emails, social media)
- Create, solicit, and monitor website content updates for Section and Committee pages
- Create, solicit, and monitor Section and Committee blogs for website
- Develop and support In-person Experiences: meetings, CLE and Section programs
- Develop and support Digital/Virtual Programming: videos, podcasts, CLE and webinars, virtual meetings, etc.
- Anticipate and coordinate timely production of Section/Committee communications, marketing, research and other needs with Blue Ocean Industries and any external marketing vendors
- Work closely with MSBA staff leaders on Section/Committee communication, planning, and direction
- Report to MSBA staff leaders about Section and Committee activities
- Review all aspects of the Section/Committee’s work, including its purpose, prior work product, and activities
- Initiate a relationship with all new Section and Committee Chairs
- Work with Section and Committee chairs to ensure their work is consistent with MSBA goals and objectives
- Conduct ongoing assessments of how the Section/Committee work fits with other projects within the MSBA and encourage collaboration and cross-promotion where appropriate
- Provide strategic support at Section or Committee meetings as an active participant, answering questions, engaging in discussion, offering suggestions, and giving perspective. Anticipate the Section/Committee’s needs and coordinate with volunteer leaders and MSBA staff prior to discussion and decision-making.
- Support MSBA decisions, even when they may not support the Section/Committee’s needs or preferences.
- Provide support for MSBA virtual and in-person events, meetings, conferences, and other initiatives as needed, including Annual Meeting and Legal Excellence Week
- Education: J.D. with relevant experience in the legal field.
- Must be an attorney barred in at least one jurisdiction, Maryland preferred but can be anywhere in the US
- Excellent written communication skills to produce content for use across multiple platforms, including blogs, website, newsletters, and periodicals
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build relationships and demonstrate a high level of leadership of volunteer leaders
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission and goals of the MSBA
- Submit Resume, Cover Letter, and two Writing Samples (no more than 5 pages each) to Shaoli Katana at email@example.com. The interview process will occur exclusively over video with the relevant hiring manager(s).