Join the MSBA for Advanced Storytelling and Persuasion Skills with David Mann presented in partnership with The Professional Education Group on August 31, 2018 at the Ecker Business Training Center in Columbia, MD!
Examine the Essentials of Storytelling, Engage the Jury Rather Than Presenting Them with Facts and Incorporate Persuasive Storytelling into Opening Statements.
The best lawyers agree: without skilled delivery, the soundest arguments fail. In this entertaining and compelling program, David Mann focuses on the goal of persuading juries and engaging witnesses by presenting complex material with the ease of conversation. Mann will provide you with tools for powerful, engaging presentations, incorporating role-play of opening statements and direct/cross examination. He will also expose you to sound methods for more complete depositions, stronger closing arguments, and more illuminating client interviews.
David Mann is a speaker, trainer, and professional actor/director. He has spoken and conducted powerful workshops at General Mills, Boston Scientific, Mosaic, Merrill Lynch, HealthPartners, Mayo Health System, The Hartford, and many other companies. He has a specialized focus on persuasive presentation for lawyers, and he is on the faculty of NITA (National Institute for Trial Advocacy) and Loyola School of Law. 6 hours of CLE credit with the surrounding MCLE states will be offered. The program will be recorded and available online after the live program.
• The psychology of being a legal storyteller to a jury
• How to employ clarity, compassion and confidence through vocal control
• How to employ clarity, compassion and confidence through physical control
• How to find a relaxed, personal gestural language and resting position
• The myth of natural, and practicing spontaneity
Delivering Opening Statements
• Practical application of clarity, compassion and confidence principles
through delivery of existing opening statements
• How to project vocally, and use natural presence for advantage Delivering Direct and Cross Examination
• How to question with sincerity to elicit desired responses from witnesses
• How to make an indelible first impression
• The six critical storytelling facets of an engaging opening statement
The Power Behind a Great Speech
• Mastery of moment, image, and style, and how they are reflected in great speeches throughout history
• Rhetorical and presentational devices used by legendary politicians and literary characters
Storytelling – Why Does it Work?
• Scientific studies focused on how the human brain perceives information, and how stories are the most effective form of communication
• The six components of effective storytelling: theme, story structure, use of detail, story arc and creating drama, rhetorical devices, and wording
Construction of Opening Statements
• Practical application of the six story components to opening statements
Delivering New Opening Statements
• Practical examination of storytelling and presenting skill, using newly created opening statement stories