The Initial Consultation
- When does a client need a Premarital Agreement and what does it protect?
- Information to be gathered from the client
- Conversations to have with the client prior to drafting.
Drafting the Agreement and Negotiating the Terms
- Key substantive terms for the death and divorce scenarios.
- Conducting the negotiations to achieve validity wherever the client may end up.
- Representing the weaker party in the negotiations – including ideas for terms to improve his or her outcome at divorce or death.
- Avoiding conflicts of interest
- Dealing with the unrepresented party
- Lawyer competency and avoiding conduct that puts the client’s interests at risk
- Dealing with a party who may be impaired (and not just blinded by love)