According to attorney Frank Ramos, these are the questions a young lawyer interviewing at firm should ask:
- What’s an associate’s caseload?
- What are the typical hours in the office?
- How often do associates work on weekends and for how long?
- How are bonuses determined?
- What hours did the associates bill last year?
- How are cases assigned?
- How many of the current partners started as associates?
- What do the attorneys do together outside the office?
- What mentoring program does the firm have?
- How does the firm train associates?
- How many associates have left the firm in the last three years?
- What organizations do your associates belong to?
- Have you sent your associates to regional or national meetings and if so which ones?
These are hard questions. But you should ask them. If I was asked them, I would answer them.
Used with permission of attorney Frank Ramos.