The DC Chapter of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA DC) is proud to partner again with ten (10) non-profit organizations throughout DC, MD and VA to host free and low-bono clinics. These clinics will help Lawful Permanent Residents (green card holders) apply for naturalization to become U.S. citizens.
Importance of Citizenship Day: For immigrants, citizenship means becoming fully integrated into the civic and economic life of this country, which includes being able to vote, serve on juries and serve in public office and government service. Citizenship provides security at home and in international travel. With increased scrutinization of naturalization applications, however, it’s essential that immigrants receive qualified and reliable legal advice. A misstep in a naturalization application could potentially result in the revocation of a green card and placement into removal proceedings. AILA’s Citizenship Day provides legal assistance with naturalization applications.
Volunteers Needed: Citizenship workshops bring together dedicated and compassionate attorneys, law students, paralegals, interpreters and community members to assist Lawful Permanent Residents in completing the Application for Naturalization (N-400). Please be advised online training courses will be made available for volunteers. The training courses will contain up-to-date information regarding naturalization issues and tips for a successful Citizenship Day.
Where and When: 9 sites on Saturday, 09/14/2019 and 1 site on Friday, 09/13/2019
1. Asian Pacific American Legal Resource Center (APALRC) – Fairfax, VA
2. Ayuda – Fairfax, VA
3. CARECEN at Carlos Rosario – DC
4. Catholic Charities of DC – Silver Spring, MD
5. Chesapeake Multicultural Resource Center (Ches MRC) – Easton, MD
6. Esperanza Center – Catholic Charities of Baltimore – Baltimore, MD
7. Gardner and Mendoza in Virginia Beach – Virginia Beach, VA
8. Hogar Immigrant Services, Catholic Charities (*note this site is hosting on Friday, 09/13/2019) – Alexandria, VA
9. Linking All So Others Succeed (LASOS) – Bel Air, MD
10. Whitman-Walker Health – DC
Registration: If you are interested in participating in this day and helping out, please register here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/8050848abac22a2f58-aila
Questions? Please contact our planning committee at email@example.com
Thank you for your kind support!